When hunting for food for your bunny there are a few useful rules of thumb to be aware of
- Always pick from safe areas – avoid places that are sprayed with pesticides, and experience heavy foot traffic.
- Leave the root system behind – only pick what you need.
- Do not feed wilted or mouldy leaves
- If you don’t know what it is, don’t pick it! Feel free to take a picture of the plant still in the ground, and send it through to us for identification instead.
When you get home from foraging
- Make sure to wash everything you pick thoroughly before feeding – this is an easy way to keep your bunny hydrated, while also ensuring the forage is clean.
- You can store forage in an airtight container in your fridge for up to three days – lay a damp paper towel over top to keep everything fresh!
- Introduce new foods safely by feeding only one new plant at a time, and in small amounts. Watch for any signs of illness over 24hours.
Check out our list of weeds and herbs you can forage here